Monday, September 22, 2014

Happy Hobbit Day 2014

Today is Hobbit Day.  It is the day chosen by the fan community to celebrate the works of Professor Tolkien's Middle-earth cycle.  In the books, September 22nd* (of The Shire Reckoning) is the birthday of both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins.  It is also the date Bilbo "disappeared" from his 111th birthday party to leave The Shire forever and the date that Frodo left Bag End seventeen years later to begin his quest to destroy the One Ring of Sauron.

My original from 1984.  The cover is almost detached.  This may be the last year I read this copy.

September 22nd also happens to mark the day on which I begin my yearly rereading of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.  Every year since I first read the books back in 1984 (I was 13 at the time) I have opened The Fellowship of the Ring and accompanied Frodo and his companions on their long journey through Middle-earth.  I don't always complete all three books and I'm sure I have missed a year here and there.  But there can be no doubt that I have read the books at least 25 times over the years...and counting.  I'm so very thankful that I discovered Tolkien's works so very long ago.  For it was Aragorn, Gandalf, Gimli, and the others that directly lead to my love of D&D.

So happy Hobbit Day to you all.  Now it's time for me to open my well-read copy of The Fellowship of the Ring and start my journey anew.

* Note: I am well aware of the differences between our calendar and that of The Shire.  September 22nd has been chosen by consensus as the date to celebrate Bilbo and Frodo's birthday rather than the converted date.  I'd rather not debate the merits of September 13th-ish vs. September 22nd.  To me, it's just not that important.  So have a pint, raise your mug, and drink one with me!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Your story sounds very similar. I was 13 in the 1983 when I first read the Lord of the Rings. I have the same paperback that you do and my Fellowship is also falling apart. Though I only re-read it once every couple of years.
    The last time I read it I started on Sept. 22. This year I just forgot.
    But I will raise a mug to you all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You're correct. Almost exactly the same story. That's pretty awesome in my book. I suspect we are not alone however.

    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough, despite being totally in love with fantasy during my teenage years, it wasn't until I was 24 and after the movie came out that I first read the Fellowship of the Rings. (I had to finish the story before the other 2 movies came out) I think I read The Hobbit in Junior High School. I remember talking about it at least, we had a class discussing the Runes Tolkien uses. We may have read excerpts or just watched the cartoon. It didn't make much of an impact on me. Again, Odd considering how much I loved fantasy and D&D. I would love to reread the trilogy again but I have so many books lined up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hobbit Day is also (roughly) the autumnal equinox. This time of year always makes me think of beginnings and starts. It may have something to do with school but I think Professor T. is truly responsible. Fall is just THE time to embark on an adventure!

    ReplyDelete