Saturday, September 17, 2016

Thirty-Three Yeas Ago - The D&D Cartoon Debuts

Quite by accident I stumbled upon a random fact while surfing the web today. Thirty-three years ago on Saturday September 17th, 1983, the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon debuted on TV. I found it odd because just today I sat down to watch an episode with my little boy. I had purchased the complete series about 10 years ago just to relive those mornings of so long ago. I watched about half way though the first season then then for some reason stopped watching. Something made me dig out the box set today to start watching the entire series again. What a coincidence! I was surprised at how much I remembered from 33 years ago. The plot of the first few episodes seemed mostly fresh in my mind. Maybe that shouldn't be too surprising though. In 1983 I was a D&D nut. I had just learned to play the year before and my entire world revolved around the game. Getting a Saturday morning cartoon consisting of my favorite pastime was like Christmas . So I guess a happy 33rd birthday wish is in order!


6 comments:

  1. I turned my kids onto these early and get a warm feeling in my tummy every time my youngest pops in a DVD some random Saturday morning. It's striking how often she picks D&D or Thundercats over contemporary content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I hope that my little guy will do so once he is a bit older.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad I remembered to look over here! Nice to see a little something. Speaking of coincidence, the convoluted reason that I thought of A.R.T.T.K. was that I was looking at some DVD sets online: Thundarr, Pirates of Dark Water, D&D, etc. I guess I'll add them to my X-mas wish list.

    Also, Andy Taylor/Antediluvian Miniatures ran a Kickstarter for a set of minis of these characters as grown-ups. I missed it. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had forgotten about Thundarr. I'm gonna look it up right now. Thanks for bringing back even more memories.

      I'm also going to search for the Kickstarter you're talking about. Although it may be over I'd love to see what the miniatures looked like. Thanks for the heads-up.

      Delete
  3. Is that a DVD? I really need to find old cartoons and movies somewhere for my kids. They have just finished watching Andy Yeatman shows on Netflix and now I need to find something equally interesting and knowledgeable for my kids. They learnt a lot from his shows which is why I had no problem when they sat and watched these series for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here goes my long-delayed reply: They are DVDs. The cartoons come in several different versions though. You can actually find them on YouTube. I'm not 100% sure but I think every episode is accounted for, at least as of a few months ago. I sat down to watch a few episodes on my iPad because I was too lazy to put in DVDs.

      Those old D&D episodes are just as good today as they were back then!

      Delete